Pilates is a great way to stay in shape and maintain balance. A pilates class membership can be expensive, but there are ways to set up your own home studio without breaking the bank. In this article we will show you how to set up your own Pilates studio by showing you some great resources for setting up your space and getting the essentials for doing Pilates at home.
STEP 1: FIND YOUR SPACE
The first step to setting up your home Pilates studio is finding a space that’s private, comfortable, safe, accessible and clean. A ventilated space with a nice flow of air makes a huge difference!
You might think this is an obvious choice but there are a lot of things to consider while you are looking for your new studio. Is there enough space in the room or will you be bumping into equipment or furniture during exercises? Are there too many windows and sunlight? Will people walking past see inside and peep through the window at what's going on? Finally - does it smell nice? (If not then maybe consider getting some air fresheners!)
- Quiet - A quiet and peaceful environment will encourage you to relax and focus on your workout. It will also help you avoid distractions like televisions, mobile phones and other gadgets that may be tempting if they are nearby
- Dedicated - You'll want this room to be available at the same time every day, free of interruptions. Make it your true safe space. It helps to communicate to your roomies or family (including pets) to not disturb your during your workout.
STEP 2: GET THE ESSENTIALS
You’ve picked out a nice spot in your home where you won’t be disturbed to practice your Pilates. Now you need to fill up the space with the essentials! Whether you’d like to keep things simple and practice Pilates solely on the mat or invest in a Pilates reformer, is up to you.
- An exercise mat (any old mat will do)
Here are Pilates basics:
- Pilates Reformer or Pilates Chair
- Bouncer (ours come for free with our Pilates Reformers!)
- Pilates Ball
- Pilates Ring
Check out our website to see the most common and popular items!
STEP 3: BUILD YOUR AMBIANCE
The next thing you should do is create a space that’s comfortable and inviting. You can accomplish this by creating an ambiance that's conducive to exercise:
- Choose a quiet room or space within your home. Sound proofing accessories help if you don't want others complaining about noise!
- A good speaker or headphones.
- Decorate the space with a refreshing vibe! 1 or 2 plants, towel baskets, scented candles or air fresheners, a stool - all of these help bring the space together whilst being functional.
- Lighting where you can brighten or dim to keep things cool.
- Mirror of your choosing to check your form makes a big difference!
- Try to keep the space on the minimalist side as clutter can make you feel claustrophobic like a busy gym.
STEP 4: SET A SCHEDULE AND PRACTICE PILATES!
Now that you've got your home pilates studio, it's time to set a schedule and keep up with the program. You can practice every day or twice a week—it all depends on what works for you. When starting out, it's important not to overdo it and make sure that you are listening to your body so that you don't injure yourself.
Remember, the most important thing is to just start! You don't have to have everything perfect right away--you can always add more equipment or decorations as time goes on. The most important part is that you make time for yourself regularly so that your body stays strong and healthy.